In the beginning, when a hardworking Chinese couple from India opened a restaurant, they faced many challenges in their business. They turned to other Chinese from India for support. About 8 members from the community got together and started discussing how to help this couple. During the brain storming session, they decided to form an Association first and to invite all other Chinese from India to coalesce and be there for each other, in their new lives in Canada. Thus, Yin Hua Association was formed in December 1989.
Yin Hua Association is for all Chinese from India. The majority of its members are mostly Hakka from the Kolkatta Region in India. The goal of Yin Hua was to have a place for all Chinese from India to socialize and to help each other whenever possible. With funds raised from the community they now own a unit near Finch/Midland in Scarborough.
For 3 decades now, the community has integrated into Canadian society and set down roots here. They have labored and thrived in Canada. Yin Hua members have embraced Canada’s multiculturalism and welcoming society. Its members have contributed to the Canadian economy venturing into various fields, to name a few:
1. HEALTH CARE - DOCTORS/NURSES/DENTISTS
2. EDUCATION – Professors/TEACHERS
3. RESTAURANTS BUSINESS: SUCH AS BOSTON PIZZA/WENDY’S/BURGER KING FRANCHISES: THERE ARE OVER 100 HAKKA CHINESE RESTAURANTS IN THE GTA ALONE
4. LEATHER MANUFACTURING IN DOWNTOWN TORONTO (UNTIL THEY CLOSED).
5. GOVERNMENT PUBLIC SERVICES AT QUEEN’S PARK/TORONTO CITYHALL/POLICE etc.
6. FINANCIAL SERVICES- BANKING & INSURANCE.
7. MANUFACTURING JOBS.
8. LEGAL AND JUDICIARY.
9. REALTORS/BEAUTY SALLON.
THE FOLLOWING TWO RECIPIENTS OF THE CMC ASIAN OUTSTANDING AWARDS ARE OF PARTICULAR SOURCE OF PRIDE AND JOY TO OUR COMMUNITY DUE TO THEIR COURAGEOUS ADVENTURE .
1. MARKHAM REGIONAL COUNCILLOR - MR.JOE LI
2. SCARBOROUGH NORTH MP (LIBERAL) - MR.SHAUN CHEN